Soooo. Monday saw the last of 5 or 6 growth scans. Basically because I'm a plus size mummy there was some new guidance which showed I may benefit from extra scabs throughout my pregnancy to measure my little princess to make sure she was growing properly.
For the first two scans she measured perfect, she hit all targets and was within the healthy ranges. However, on my "final" scan, on August 1st, there were some concerns about her Estimated Fetal Weight (EFW).
The sonographer takes three measurements to come up with the EFW. Head Circumference, Femur Length and Abdominal Circumference. So instead of weighing 6.5lbs at 37+1. My darling was estimated to weigh 5.5lbs. This prompted a review of my notes by a consultant, who explained that my babies Head Circumference was measuring a few weeks smaller than it should , which was bringing the EFW down. But they weren't concerned as it was most likely a miscalculation as her head has been well and truly engaged for weeks.
I had two more scans arranged and I've now had them both. Her head, according to the sonographers measurements, still hasn't grown. She is however now measuring 6.5lbs, so has gained 1lb in two weeks. All of her measurements indicate that she is 39+1 (which she was on Monday) apart from her head which measures 36 weeks.
Now I'm not saying I disagree with these measurements, but according to the precise numbers, her head actually shrunk by 0.5cm over the last two weeks, while she gained over 1lb in weight. That doesn't sit right with me. But nonetheless, after a very lengthy 5 hour wait to have my notes reviewed, I finally saw a doctor.
They basically now feel that they need to consider inducing me if my daughter doesn't arrive of her own accord within the next few days. I am scheduled to see a consultant to discuss my options tomorrow morning and see how he thinks we should proceed.
So yeah. She's so comfy, I'm 3 days from my due date with no signs she's going to make an appearance anytime soon. I'm still suffering with anxiety and pelvic pain/sciatica and just finding the whole thought of induction quite daunting.
The reason I'm finding it daunting is that my entire pregnancy I've planned to only use gas and air to get through the pain. I'm told with induction, it can be significantly more painful and it increases the chances of requiring a c section, epidural etc as 1. It may fail resulting in the need for a surgical birth (c section) 2. Because the Labour is trigger by synthetic hormones. Your body doesn't combat them with its own hormones to fight the pain resulting in it hurting a hell of a lot more.
I just don't know what to do. For 9 months I've had a plan, and in the final week it looks like it's all going to pot. I see my consultant early tomorrow. Wish me luck xxx
Reviews and musings of a first time mum... What has helped, what hasn't helped, and how I have made it this far.
Wednesday, 17 August 2016
Possible Induction :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poorly Baby
So for the first time last week I actually had a poorly little lady. I'm not sure if it was because of teething or something else, but o...
No comments:
Post a Comment